Local search engine optimisation is a branch of SEO that focuses on optimising a website to be found in local search results. It covers local search terms that help the user find businesses near them such as:
- plumbers near me
- electricians near me
- plumbers in [city name]
- electricians in [city name]
Local SEO is a strategic process that focuses on emphasising the optimisation efforts of local businesses and to target local customers. For example, if you’re a plumber in Sydney, you won’t be looking for customers in Brisbane so it’s important to have your SEO set up correctly. Otherwise you’re losing focus and losing customers.
This includes making sure all potential local signals across Google’s local search landscape are consistent and correct. If they are not, or you accidentally provide different information for the same business, you could potentially experience situations where your local results display something different than what was intended.
Why Local Search Optimisation is important
Here are a few stats that prove how important local search continues to be for businesses:
- 97 percent of consumers looked online for local businesses in 2018, with 12 percent looking for a local business online every day.
- 50 percent of people who did a local search on their phone went to a physical store within one day.
- 34 percent who did their search on a computer or tablet did the same.
- 18 percent of local mobile searches lead to a sale within one day.
- 50 percent of searchers on their mobile phones who conduct local searches are looking for things like a local business address.
- 78 percent of local-based searches on a mobile device end in purchases being made offline.
- 71 percent of people who have been surveyed have said they search for the location of a business in order to confirm its existence before going there for a first-time visit.
- 1 in 3 searches on a smartphone were conducted just before contacting the business or arriving at a store.
Getting the SEO strategy right
SEO isn’t about just adding local city names into content, it’s about getting the strategy correct across a whole range of tactics. This include content of course – but it has to be done right. Your website and any online marketing also has to be optimised correctly to improve your online ranking and therefore being found by potential customers. You also need to carry your brand or campaign strategies across all of your marketing.
If you need help or advice for your digital marketing and Local SEO, contact us for a no obligation chat and start getting more customers!